We live in a world where we are constantly bombarded with fad diets, pills, quick fixes and new trends. Not only are these poorly researched and overhyped, the vast majority never manage to consider that we are all different. Every one of us has unique needs, goals and understandings of our health and fitness. This means that to even have the hope of achieving these goals we’re going to need real, individual help. Now, research has confirmed that using a real, qualified personal trainer is the fastest and most effective way to get there!
The Difference Is Personal
Your attention- and by default your time, energy and money- is the biggest commodity available today. With it, you can be persuaded into just about anything, and the ‘phones’ that we are all addicted to are designed to do exactly that. For the sake of this article, however, we’ll focus on our specialty- health and wellness.
When it comes to our health, it can be hard to see the benefits of spending your time and money to improve it, as these things are difficult to measure (at least int he short term). Neurochemically, it is much easier for us to go for the activity which releases high amounts of dopamine, such as video gaming or Facebook scrolling than it is to be outside and go for a run.
If/when you finally get so bored of those activities that you actually make the move to do something, the first port of call for most people is the “free” stuff. YouTube videos, Instagram trainers, whatever the first result on google for “free workout program” happens to be.
The issue with this is two-fold:
1. In 99% of the cases, you’re either receiving advice from someone who is completely unqualified, or it’s a one-size-fits-all solution. For some people, that isn’t a problem. They’re happy to ‘dip a toe’ into the workout world, and see if it’s for them. However, using unqualified advice can cause you to develop poor habits, increase your rate of injury, and slow your rates of recovery. Doctor’s train for years to be able to prescribe you medicine, and so do personal trainers! It just happens our medicine comes as a lifestyle change, not a quick fix.
In addition, the concept of ‘dipping a toe’ is usually the exact same mental behaviour that will see you give up after a few days. Setting up new habits and fitness regimes is not an easy task, and it’s made even by trying to do it alone. Most people don’t even make it two weeks, which we see with every new year’s resolution. It’s the same as the ‘Monday effect,’ where motivations are high at the start of the week and taper off by Wednesday.
2. With this minimalised and individual training mindset, most people are never going to see a result. Optimising your health and fitness is as much a mental game as it is physical, and it is not a short term thing. There are a plethora of amazing free resources available if you know where to look, but staying motivated, and accountable is HARD WORK.
The key to making real, lasting changes in your life, particularly where your health and fitness is involved, is in the ‘little’ wins. Small improvements each week not only lead to drastic physical changes, but they can also help to improve your mindset, motivation, outlook, energy, and attitude towards your health and wellness.
Unless you’re incredibly disciplined, the only way to continue to see these ‘wins’ is in constantly redesigning your health and fitness regime to suit your personal needs and circumstances- something that the ‘free’ stuff doesn’t account for.
Science Confirms Personal Trainers Are the Key to Results
Before we get too far, we want to temper this research a bit. First, it’s important to understand that this research is based on real, qualified personal trainers and training. Second, in understanding the results, we’ll also look at why personal trainers are more effective, compared to training by yourself. Contrary to popular belief- it is NOT just because you have a workout buddy. So without further ado, let’s look at some of the numbers:
1. Mclaran et al (2003) showed that using a personal trainer can actually change your opinion of, and attitude towards, health and wellness. This is big, as it shows that personal training isn’t just about the fitness, it also incorporates and improves mental states of wellbeing and physical activity. Based on a 10-week study, the research took into account the participant’s current levels of fitness and categorized them accordingly.
At the end of the 10-week personal training program, a huge 60% had moved up at least one category stage, and an additional 13% two stages. It is interesting to note that these participants (73%) initially started in the second group (contemplation) before progressing higher.
“For the days that they met together, the client and trainer had targeted discussions on problem-solving techniques such as determining the Benefits of Physical Activity, Barriers/Obstacles, Support System Recruitment, Goal Setting and Relapse Prevention in addition to providing specific suggestions for the other exercise days during the week.”
This study concluded that:
- One-on-one personal training is an effective method for changing attitudes towards physical activity, and thereby increases the amount of physical activity undertaken.
- Without tailored workout regimes and accountability, the exercise outcomes/progressions were limited.
- Those who have considered a health/fitness regime but may not have taken the steps to action it stand to get some of the most positive results.
2. A more recent study looked at personal training over self-directed training, whereby researchers used the lean body mass of participants as a measure to determine whether using a qualified personal trainer was advantageous. With significantly higher improvements in the strength and other variables, the study concluded that:
“for the first time in a fitness club setting, members whose training is directed by well qualified personal trainers administering evidence-based training regimens achieve significantly greater improvements in LBM and other dimensions of fitness than members who direct their own training.”
3. Whilst not everyone is training for strength, personal trainers have proven to be effective in this arena as well. Maloof et al and Mazetti et al (2000) showed in two separate studies that having a personal trainer led to ‘significant improvements in strength gains’ in a group setting when compared to a group without a trainer.
What About Online Personal Training?
Whilst these are just some examples of research, the results show that personal trainers do indeed improve and accelerate your results. So what about online personal training?
Conveniently, studies have also been conducted to show the validity, use and effectiveness of personal training from home.
- Sykes et al (2007) compared personal training at home and in the gym. The study found that both were as effective as each other when it comes to weight loss, motivation, cardiovascular endurance and discipline.
- Similarly, Castro and King (2002) found that the same coaching/fitness training lost no benefits when administered over the phone. It concluded that “home-based, telephone-supervised programs were as effective as a group- or facility-based programs in terms of increased functional capacity and adherence.”
- A third study by Kennedy-Armbruster et al also concluded that personal training can reduce overall sedentary (sitting) time by more than 50%, whilst also improving cardiovascular fitness (VO2). This is particularly important right now as many of us are stuck indoors and trying to adjust to a new way of living!
How Do I Find a Personal Trainer?
Personal trainers spend years achieving their qualifications and honing their skills. In an ordinary year, your local gym or a trusted referral from a friend is usually all that you need to accelerate your training. Now, however, it has become much more difficult to sift through as our attention moves more fully online. Thanks to smartphones you can now access some of the best personal trainers in the country, on-demand, for a fraction of the price.
With the Turnfit app, you literally have a personal trainer in your pocket, with real-time support, regular updates, fitness tracking and video coaching, we have designed a range of packages to suit your needs.
For those who are more serious about their training, or have recently lost their trainers due to COVID19, we also have an elite training package. This is for clients who require more focused and personalized training regiments. With regular video coaching calls and completely customised training and nutrition plans, the elite package also includes health and wellness coaching, covering mindfulness and meditation, goal setting and more.
We also offer FREE health and wellness assessments, and your first month of training is on us. With all of the research pointing to the benefits of personal training and zero cost to get started, you could be a few small steps away from a healthier, happier you. Of course, as personal trainers, we can customise and individualise any plan or workout regime to make sure you are achieving your goals.
How Can I Join The Turnfit Family?
If you’re ready to improve your habits and your health, you’re only one step away.
Click here to learn more about our packages, and choose the one which best suits your needs. We will send you an invite to download the Turnfit app and set up a time to complete your FREE video assessment call.
Then, make sure you join our community on Facebook for up to date information, access to the team, and a whole host of other free resources, training programs, boot camps and more!
Don’t forget- you can help your friends and family to stay healthy, and earn up to one-month FREE membership when you refer 4 friends– the best part is they can start with ANY package!
For more information about our programs or packages, or about any of our resources please don’t hesitate to reach out and connect:
We’re always available to help you improve your health and fitness goals!
About Turnfit Personal Trainers
Turnfit Personal Trainers is founded by David Turnbull or “Coach David” – an experienced and successful Personal Trainer who strives to build happier, healthier lives every day.
With a focus on holistic health, we pride ourselves on making a difference and were recently awarded the 2019 Top Choice Award for Personal Trainer in Vancouver.
Every trainer at Turnfit is committed and relentless in our pursuit to help you reach your health and wellness goals. It’s our mission to help you to build the skills, and mindset, it takes to feel successful in all areas of your life.
We look forward to hearing from you!